Saturday, March 8, 2014

Birthday Mix!


It's my birthday! To commemorate the occasion, I put together a list of my twenty four favorite songs from bands that you should know. It's a nice mix of old and new and I'm sure there's something for any serious music lover. See, I'm entertaining and educating you. Thank me later.

Check it out here: Playlist

Track List:

1. Girls- 1975
    Fun, upbeat, poppy song- just the kind of track to make you forget about your growing number of years.

2. Get Free- The Vines
     I always loved the energy The Vines had.

3. Pretty Vacant- The Sex Pistols
    This was the first song I ever heard by The Sex Pistols. I can still remember being thirteen years old, gaping at old images of the band playing, assaulting the audience with songs just like this one.

4. Disparate Youth- Santigold
    Mellows the mix out a bit and gives you a breather.

5. Recover- CHVRCHES
    My favorite song by these up and coming indie faves.

6. Agenda Suicide- The Faint
   I really hope this makes you all get up and dance.

7. Midnight Rambler- The Rolling Stones
    Quite possibly the song that captures the very essence of the Rolling Stones, this will forever be one of my top three Stones songs.

8. We Own the Sky- M83
     There's something really enchanting and beautiful about this track. There were many nights where I would walk back from main campus to my dorm just listening to this track (it was a fifteen minute walk. I think the song clocks in somewhere around five minutes).

9. Die Romantic- Aiden
    Off Aiden's second album, this is the song that made me fall in love with them. For my sixteenth birthday I got to see them support Thirty Seconds to Mars and met both bands. It was a rather magical night.

10. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da- The Beatles
    I feel like I don't give the Fab Four enough love but I do like them and this is the song that gets me the most energized.

11. Topsy Turvy- Family Force 5
      This song was featured on the 2010 Alice in Wonderland soundtrack. My entire twentieth birthday was Alice in Wonderland themed and, considering it's my second favorite story ever (second only to Peter Pan), Alice in Wonderland is quite special to me. The song itself captures the whimsical feel that Alice in Wonderland has without encroaching into the Jefferson Airplane spectrum.

12. LDN- Lily Allen
    This picks the mix up a bit and gives it a bit of a spring/summer feel.

13. Five Years- David Bowie
      No mix is complete without BOWIE! Five Years has always been one of my favorite Bowie tracks because its melancholic air of finality juxtaposed with its almost hopeful tone.

14. Personality Crisis- New York Dolls
      I love the fast-paced, straight in your face ethos of the New York Dolls.

15. Transmission- Joy Division
       I'm a huge Joy Division fangirl so they're always playing when I get ready to go out.

16. Jet Boy, Jet Girl- The Damned
     It's the Damned. They have to be on here.

17. I Against I- Bad Brains
       If there's one band that, to me, really encapsulates the New York City punk sound then it's the Bad Brains. They have that never-ending energy that the punk movement was known for but, instead of preaching anarchy and nihilism, they tried to get their fans to try and change the world for the better.

18. Mama Do the Hump- Rizzle Kicks
      I shamelessly dance to this song all the time.

19. Beautiful Ones- Suede
      Upbeat tone and depressing lyrics? Perfect.

20. Graffiti- Maximo Park
      I just love Maximo Park and felt that this was the perfect song to introduce you all to them.

21. Comeback Kid- Sleigh Bells
      I love the energy of this song (or of any Sleigh Bells song).

22. The Boys are Back- Dropkick Murphys
      My birthday falls right near St. Patty's Day so OF COURSE Dropkick Murphys are going to be included on my playlist.

23. Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?- Green Day
       Green Day is one of my favorite bands and this song is one of their most underrated, even though it's both Billie-Joe and my favorite song.

24. Heroes- David Bowie
      He's Bowie so he gets two spots. In all seriousness, though, this song has always been so uplifting and empowering (they even feature it at the end of Perks of Being a Wallflower) so I needed to close out the playlist with this one.

Hope you guys enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment